The wood burning fireplace is on and I’m nursing a Whisky and a glass of fine red wine. No I’m just joking, I’m sat on the living room floor sans booze, in my gillet and fleece and the central heating on full blast. I’ve just about recovered from a bout of glandular fever and I’m knee deep in the busiest time of year for me as an event coordinator. With it being so hectic, it’s nice to find an event that the whole family, young and old, can enjoy with friends and loved ones.
Last night I was invited to the Magical Lantern Festival light switch on at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, in Edgbaston. If you haven’t heard of the venue or paid a visit, I urge you to go – it’s lovely and serene. The Birmingham Botanical Gardens also caters for weddings, events and conferences all within the surroundings of 15 acres.
The Lantern Festival launched in London in 2015 and Weli Creative decided to host the lights here in Birmingham, as well as Leeds and in London. It’s a showcase of art, heritage and culture, paying homage to the local surroundings too.
Considering going to the Birmingham Magical Lantern Festival? Here are my top 5 tips!
- Leave the car at home! Not only is this good for carbon footprints, there is unfortunately no parking on site.
- Wrap up warm! The mesmerising lantern train is outside and it’s chilly!
- Grab something to eat. There are food stalls inside and outside the festival, including mulled wine, crispy chilli squid and hot dogs!
- Give it time. Wear your steadiest of shoes and give yourself about 75 minutes to complete the trail. Also plan your journey ahead as I imagine there will be a bit of traffic.
- Be weary of your surroundings as the event is expected to receive thousands of visitors a night.
It truly is an unforgettable experience.
I had a fab time at the Magical Lantern Festival preview evening, the trail was actually better than expected! It’s certainly not Birmingham’s answer to the London Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, however it’s a fun, light-hearted, Winter’s evening out.
The Magic Lantern Festival in Birmingham, takes place from Friday 25th November 2016 to Monday 2nd of January 2017. Adult tickets are £12.50 in advance and children’s are £8.50. It takes place at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Westbourne Rd, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 3TR.
Have you got your tickets to the festival? If you’ve been, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you to the kind folk at Weli Creative and East Village PR. As always, my writing and my honest views.
One thought on “Event: Magical Lantern Festival, Birmingham”
Looks lovely! My family went to the London one last year and loved it. I tried to get tickets for this Saturday but we need an early evening slot and there were none left 😦 Definitely want to go though and appreciate your helpful tips.