Happy New Year 2017 to you.
I’m sure some of you get into the habit of making new life changing goals on the 1st of January. If it’s not a standard New Year’s resolution, it might be a plan of how you want the next year to pan out. I’m not really one for New Year’s resolutions, but I’ve always been a firm believer of writing ideas down for them to come to fruition.
I’ve never done a list like this before. I like a challenge, 2015 saw me set a goal to visit 8 countries within the year whilst with a full time job and I managed just fine! 2016 was saved for visiting 12 countries in a year, however I quit my life and job in London and moved to Birmingham, UK. I managed 9 countries, whilst visiting the 9 different countries 13 times in total. Not bad. With 30 being 21 months away, I feel it’s a perfect opportunity to finally do some of the things I’ve been meaning to do for a while.
For some, challenges seem daunting; whilst others take it in their stride to over achieve them. For me, a challenge is a reminder to continue aspiring and doing. Life does not have to stand still. When was the last time you truly challenged yourself?
With this in mind, and a clear head from further travel adventures in 2016, I have come up with my exciting list of ’30 before 30′. With 1 years and 9 months to achieve this, I’m feeling highly adventurous. I’m also feeling rather excited to try lots of new things.
So here’s my 30 before 30 list
- Progress with my Italian. I’ve been learning Italian on and off for years, hopelessly knowing the basics. I love Italy and it’d be great to get a bit further with it.
- Improve my photography. I recently bought a Nikon DSLR camera, so the first step is done. I intend to get out more and play around with the settings.
- Keep super fit and work out more efficiently.
- Run a half marathon!!! 13.1094 miles, 21.0975 kilometers. I’d like to say I finally did it and who knows, I might sign up for a marathon.
- Learn to drive. OK, I really should have got my driving license 11 years ago, but I still haven’t. My excuse always being, that you don’t need a car in London. This needs to change!
- (Re)learn to swim. I’ve forgotten how to swim and for me it’s not like riding a bike, I’ve genuinely forgotten.
- Finally see the Northern lights.
- Try out skiing.
- Start learning another new language. Any ideas?
- Further develop the blog, whilst strengthening the brand. Become a readily available freelance copywriter and get an article published.
- Move to a new country. Anyone that truly knows me, knows that I’ve been wanting to do this for years. I guess moving to Birmingham was the catalyst needed to know whether it could be a possible!
- Learn to knit something that isn’t a scarf or a variation of a scarf.
- Be taught to cook something by a local in another country.
- I’m not that great at baking as I’m not that patient. It’s time to take my baking to the next level!
- Complete at least 60 more blog posts.
- Travel by sleeper train and/ or complete an entire journey by train. I have done this in Kenya from Nairobi to Mombasa, and also in Spain from Madrid to Barcelona. I’d like to up the ante a bit on this one.
- Travel the UK (United Kingdom)
- Go camping
- Go on a yoga retreat
- Visit another country in Africa, I’ve been to Kenya 4 times and Nigeria once.
- Go on a South East Asian expedition
- Explore a new city through the Geo-Caching app. I love exploring new places and geocaching is great fun. It’s like a giant treasure hunt, and I’ve done it before but never in a new place. It’s a brilliant way to get to know somewhere new!
- Ride in a hot air balloon in Bagan, Myanmar or Cappadocia, Turkey.
- Eat at a Michelin starred restaurant
- Plan an awesome 30th birthday adventure
- Learn to practise mindfulness, it’s currently all the rage. For instance, pay it forward and buy something for a stranger.
- Learn to play a song on the guitar
- Continue improving my wine knowledge, perhaps help out on a vineyard!
- Practice more recipes from the cookbooks I already own.
- Number 30 – I need your ideas!
As I’m also a little bit fickle, I might give myself up to 3 lifelines, is that cheating? I think not.
Have you created a 25 before 25, 30 before 30 or 40 before 40 list? Or is there one single thing you’d like to achieve by your next birthday? Let me know in the comments below.
Best wishes to you.