The Ryder Grill at The Belfry Hotel in Sutton Coldfield have just launched a new Spring a la carte menu. What better way to sample some of the dishes than to experience it in the form of a 7 course taster menu. Unlucky for you, only 2 tasting dates were held, however The Ryder Grill plan on hosting these evenings with every menu launch.
The Belfry Hotel and Resort is most commonly known as a golfing haven, the Ryder Cup has taken place several times here. It’s a stunning wedding reception destination. In addition to these accolades, its AA Rosette Ryder Grill restaurant is making a dent on the food scene.
Under the leadership of Head Chef William Dimartino, each course is presented visually appealing and sensual to the palate. Sommelier Carlos pairs each course with an exquisite match.
The open plan dining room is brasserie like, with banquette seating. A simple palette of blue and brown. We are welcomed with a glass of pink Duval-Leroy.
I begrudgingly taste Sauvignon Blanc – swirl, sip, spit. I’ve had so much Kiwi SB, it has become tiresome. The greatest surprise of the evening was the Ara Single Estate Sauvignon Blanc, from the Malborough (New Zealand). The Sauvignon, elegant, aromatic and expressive of terroir, mineral, stone fruit, green pepper and nettle. It’s effortlessly grown up. A match made in heaven for the asparagus course.
The 7 course Ryder Grill Spring Tasting Menu, with accompanying wine (£40 per person, wine at £25 per person)
- Amuse Bouche, pork cheek , wholegrain mustard. apple puree
- Asparagus, local from Lichfield, duck egg mayonnaise, brioche crumb, dusted burnt onion powder
- Ara Single Estate Sauvignon Blanc |Marlborough, New Zealand
- Chicken Parfait, savoury granola, pineapple, vanilla gel, demerara sugar, rum and garlic flowers
- The Wine Farer Series Chenin Blanc | Western Cape, South Africa
- Sea Trout, almond puree, lemon emulsion, chorizo crumb, charred spring onion
- The Spee’wah Houseboat Chardonnay | South-Eastern Australia
- Spring Lamb, confit shoulder of lamb, rack of lamb, artichoke hummus, sweet red pepper oil, broad bean and feta
- Les Roches Beaujolais Villages | Beaujolais, France
- Crème Brulee, crunchy puff pastry, vanilla, creme fraiche, dehydrated strawberries, poached Strawberries and basil
- Passion Fruit, soft meringue pie, mango gel, brioche breadcrumbs, bitter chocolate, coconut sorbet
- Royal Tokaji Late Harvest | Tokaji, Hungary
The new Spring menu shows off locally sourced, seasonal produce. The aim will be to produce a new menu every two to three months carefully selecting ingredients that are local and sustainable and in their prime.
With the stunning golf course as a backdrop, bars aplenty and gorgeous overnight accommodation, the Ryder Grill is the perfect place for a romantic dinner.
Three cheers to offering a great value 7 course tasting menu. I truly look forward to attending another.
I was a guest of The Belfry Hotel and all food and drink were complimentary.
As always, my writing and my honest views.
Wine Press Girl x
The Ryder Grill, The Belfry, Lichfield Road, Wishaw, Sutton Coldfield B76 9PR